Fire chiefs warn ‘don’t drink and fry’ after Burnley chip pan fire

editorial image
Share this article

A BURNLEY man is believed to have suffered burns in a Boxing Day chip pan fire in Burnley.

The man had been frying chips when the pan caught fire at the Eastham Street property yesterday evening.

Fire crews believe the man may have suffered burns to his hands as he tried to tackle the blaze himself.

A 999 call was made from the house at 5-45pm after reports of a kitchen fire.

Watch manager Neil Ashworth, of Burnley Fire Station, said: “The tenant’s brother, a man in his early 20s, had been out drinking in the day. He decided to have chips for his tea.

“He fell asleep but when he woke up he found the kitchen was on fire and tried to put it out himself.”

Watch manager Ashworth believes the man had tried to pick the burning pan but dropped it, splashing oil all over the walls and window.

“The pan was then put in a plastic recycling bin which then caught fire.”

Fire crews said the blaze was out when they arrived but the hob was badly damaged and the property was smoke-logged.

Watch manager Ashworth said: “We suspect the man is suffering from burns.

“The message is ‘don’t drink and fry’. It can be very dangerous. It is far better to go to the takeaway on the way home and it is far safer.”