A grandmother from Burnley Wood is furious that work to reinstate a playground is starting now – at the end of the school holidays.
Mrs Sheila Taylor, of Branch Road, was livid when she saw workmen start to reinstall play equipment on Tuesday at the playground in Brunswick Street.
The facilities, which were only four years old, were taken away last September to make room for a new housing development. The playground has now been moved several yards to the side.
Mrs Taylor (63) said: “We were promised the playground would be reinstalled by spring or the start of summer.
“This would have made sense because it would have given the smaller children somewhere to play over the long summer holidays. To start now, at the end of the school holidays, is ridiculous.”
Simon Goff, Burnley Council’s head of green spaces and amenities, said: “We’re sorry we haven’t been able to complete the work on the play area for the summer holidays. We are replacing equipment that was previously removed and relocated and we’ve had some difficulties in obtaining some spare parts that were needed.
“There have been alternatives available to children – Burnley Wood recreation ground, which is around 400 yards away.”