Yob who urinated on Burnley war memorial back in court

Burnley Magistrates Court
Burnley Magistrates Court

A YOB who assaulted his girlfriend just days after being convicted of urinating on Burnley’s war memorial, has been spared jail.

Jamie Gorton (22) grabbed his partner by the throat in an argument before throwing a boot which hit her face on New Year’s Day after an all night drink binge, Burnley Magistrates’ Court heard.

Gorton admitted the assault and breaching a suspended sentence for outraging public decency imposed after he urinated on the memorial stone honouring the town’s war heroes in the Croft Street Peace Garden.

Magistrates chose not to activate the suspended sentence and the defendant, of Browsholme Avenue, was given a 12-month supervision order, £60 victim surcharge and was ordered to carry out a 15-day Lancashire Alcohol Specified Activity Requirement.

The suspended sentence will remain in place.

The court was told Gorton had a three-year record of escalating “unpleasant and disorderly” conduct most of which was linked to alcohol.

Neil White (prosecuting) said he had committed a string of drunk and disorderly offences and one of driving while unfit through drink last May.

But Mr White said Gorton was sentenced for assault after slapping a paramedic across the face in November.

The court heard that within a month he had gone out and urinated on the war memorial and was given a six-week suspended sentence and 100 hours unpaid work on December 20th.

Mr White said: “Eleven days later he goes out on New Year’s Eve and spent all night drinking and doesn’t get home until 8-30 in the morning.

“He was drunk. There was argument that became somewhat volatile.”

The court heard his girlfriend “punched out” at the defendant when he grabbed her by the throat to stop her.

Gorton was told to leave but threw his boots and one caught her in the face leaving her with bruising and a graze.

Daniel Frazer (defending) said his client’s actions had not been intentional and maintained he pinned his partner back to stop her lashing out at him.

Mr Frazer said the defendant went to the police station and accepted responsibility for the injury caused and admitted throwing the shoes had been “reckless”.

“He recognised he has alcohol issues. He has not been in trouble for the last few months.

“He seems to have tempered his drinking and has done half his unpaid work.”

Mr Frazer said the defendant’s partner did not wish for further legal action to be taken and believed he needed professional help to tackle his issues to become an upstanding member of the community.

The solicitor added: “He is trying to change his way of life and change his thinking.

“He is embarrassed by previous matters and he is ashamed of this matter.”