Victim scarred for life after ‘mug’ attack: Burnley dad (23) jailed

Burnley Crown Court.
Burnley Crown Court.
Share this article

A YOUNG dad who attacked a man with a mug and left him facially scarred for life, has been jailed for 28 months.

Burnley Crown Court heard how Andreas Metaxas (23) and victim Stephen Whittle (22) who had known each other since school, had both been to the same house party before the defendant struck last June.

Mr Whittle had been left with “very nasty“ scarring after the assault. Metaxas, of Melville Street, Burnley, said to have a “great many“ court appearances to his name, admitted wounding and damage.

Hugh McKee (prosecuting) said Mr Whittle went to the party in Burnley and saw the defendant leaving. The pair had never been friends but had never had a fight.

When the victim left about 2-15 a.m., he saw Metaxas across the road with some friends, drinking and being rowdy. The defendant was drinking from a mug.

Mr McKee said Mr Whittle’s friends went in one direction and as he walked home in the other on his own, he had to pass the defendant and his group. He heard something behind him and turned to see the defendant running at him. Metaxas then hit him to the left hand side of his head with the mug,

Mr Whittle went to the ground, got up, was chased by Metaxas, lost him and made his way to his parents’ home to get help. As he approached he heard the sound of breaking glass and the defendant was seen banging on the door with a piece of wood. Metaxas then ran off.

The prosecutor said police were alerted and the defendant was seen waving down a taxi. He was arrested and handcuffed, but the officer had to draw his taser and use his incapacitant spray to calm Metaxas down. He was taken to the police station and made no comment. Mr Whittle was taken to hospital where he had stitches and his wounds were closed in layers.

Martin Hackett (defending) said there had been no further offences and he was moving in the right direction so far as his life was concerned.

The defendant had been the victim of domestic violence at the hands of his mother’s ex-partner. The barrister continued: “It was in that environment that this defendant learned to sort out difficulties himself, in wholly the wrong way.”

Mr Hackett added the defendant, who has a 17-month-old son, had been working.

Sentencing, Judge Beverly Lunt told Metaxas the assault had been serious, unprovoked and he had used a weapon. She continued: “That resulted in very bad, permanent scarring to the face of your young victim.”