Two men charged after stabbing

The scene of the triple stabbing in Forest Street.
The scene of the triple stabbing in Forest Street.
Share this article

POLICE launched a manhunt after three Latvian men were stabbed in their beds in a Burnley house.

The frightening daytime assault happened just after 10am on Friday at a terraced house in Forest Street, near Church Street, following a violent incident the day before.

The victims, all Latvian nationals, are being treated in hospital but their injuries are not life-threatening.

The stabbings followed another incident at the same house in which two men wearing balaclavas and brandishing baseball bats broke in and assaulted another man.

Detectives told the Express they are keeping an open mind as to the motives.

Det. Insp Derry Crorken, of Burnley CID, said: “We are currently investigating a possible motive for these attacks.

“We have spoken to the victims who say they have never had any problems in the Burnley community. At least one of the victims has lived in the same house for six months without any problems.

“We are also actively pursuing one other man in connection with the attacks, and we would urge anyone with information to contact us.”

A 38-year-old man was airlifted to the Royal Preston Innfirmary with stab wounds to his leg and a wound to his chest. He was expected to undergo surgery there this weekend.

A 31-year-old man who suffered cuts to his arm, and a 24-year-old who was stabbed in the back, were released from the Royal Blackburn Hospital, as was a 24-year-old who suffered brusing to his head following the baseball bat assault.

One resident, who did not wish to be named, said: “I think there are three or four Latvian families living in the area.

“I have never heard of any tension or trouble before, but something has obviously boiled over now.”

Police arrested four men soon after the incident. Craig Lewis (24) and Adam Lewis (18) both of Godley Street, Burnley, have been charged with Section 18 wounding and aggravated burglary. They were due to appeare at Burnley Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

A 52-year-old man was released on police bail pending further inquiries. A 27-year-old man was released without charge.