Thug chases after school run dad with hockey stick

Burnley Magistrates Court.
Burnley Magistrates Court.
Share this article

A terrified school run dad was attacked by a thug who also set about his car with a hockey stick over “congestion around a primary school”.

Burnley magistrates were told how angry David James Moore (25) was said to have punched Rafal Cegielka through his open car window, knocking his glasses off.

He then frantically ripped away a fencing panel from a nearby garden and chased the victim’s vehicle with it.

Moore finally armed himself with the hockey stick from his home, shouted death threats in the street, ran after Mr Cegielka again and started smashing up his car, causing £500 worth of damage.

Mr Cegielka had been on his way to St John’s Primary School to pick up his child when the unprovoked violence erupted in front of youngsters and other members of the public.

Prosecutor Eddie Harrison told the hearing: “He says he was terrified by this incident.”

Moore, who has a record for violence and was on a community order at the time, told police he had had a bad day and his head was all over the place.

The defendant, of Brent Street, Burnley, admitted assault by beating, destroying £100 worth of fencing belonging to Nigel Burns, and damaging Mr Cegielka’s car, on March 2nd.

He was given 16 weeks in prison, suspended for two years and was ordered to attend the Resolve programme to address his violence and temper. The defendant was told to pay £650 compensation.

Mr Harrison told the court that at about 2.50pm, the victim drove onto Brent Street, which is very narrow and came nose to nose with another vehicle.

He added: “The complainant says the defendant was totally out of control and continued shouting and swearing. He was frightened by this behaviour and started his engine and drove away.”

The prosecutor said the victim had to drive round the block and come back to the school to collect his child and saw Moore again. The defendant then went into his house, got the hockey stick and ran after Mr Cegielka’s vehicle again.

Moore had 14 offences on his record, including damage, witness intimidation, assault causing actual bodily harm and battery.

Graeme Tindall (defending) said: “He readily accepts he saw red. He accepts he has a short fuse and reacted wholly inappropriately. In the cold light of day, he conceded all the faults that he had on that occasion.”