Teenager who left 83-year-old woman with 'serious injuries' after an attempted robbery in Accrington jailed
A teenager who carried out a series of violent robberies, attempted robberies and thefts in Accrington has been jailed. robbed vulnerable and elderly woman
Wesley Powell, 18, appeared at Burnley Crown Court on Friday (January 31), where he was sentenced to 45 months in prison.
He had previously pleaded guilty to four counts of robbery, four counts of attempted robbery, one count of theft and two counts of assault with intent to rob.
DC Martin Vernon, of Burnley Police, said: “Over a combined period of just four days Powell targeted ten people, either stealing or attempting to steal from them.
“He left two women - one of whom was in her 80s - with serious injuries and several of his victims have said they are still fearful leaving their homes. He also caused worry among residents.
“Thankfully he is now embarking on a stretch of time behind bars which I hope he uses to reflect on the consequence of his actions.
Lancashire Constabulary also hopes it sends a message that Lancashire Police take all crimes of this nature seriously and will pursue those responsible to ensure justice is served.”
Powell, of Spring Street, Accrington, carried out the offences against nine women and one man, on two days in October 2018 and two days in March 2019.
During all but three of the incidents he stole or attempted to steal victims’ handbags.
Two of the victims, women aged 64 and 83, were attacked and dragged to the floor so violently they lost consciousness.
They both made a full recovery.
In total, Powell is believed to have gained just a small amount of cash totalling around £10.
The dates and details of the offences are:
- October 24, 2018 at 3.45pm – robbed a 73-year-old woman of a handbag and its contents on Washington Street, Accrington.
- October 24, 2018 at 9.40pm – attempted to rob a 62-year-old woman of a handbag and contents on Windsor Street, Accrington.
- October 25, 2018 shortly before 4pm – robbed a 64-year-old woman of a handbag and contents and assaulted an 83-year-old with intent to rob her on Belgarth Street, Accrington.
- October 25, 2018 shortly after 4pm – robbed a 76-year-old woman of a handbag and its contents on Foster Street, Accrington.
- October 25, 2018 at 4.30pm – attempted to rob a 46-year-old woman of a handbag and its contents on Windsor Street, Accrington.
- October 25, 2018 shortly after 7pm – attempted to rob an 18-year-old woman of a handbag and its contents and assaulted an 18-year-old woman with intent to rob her, on Dowry Street, Accrington.
- March 2, 2019 at 5.45pm – attempted to rob a 62-year-old woman of money and stole a charity box belonging to the same woman at a business premises on Railway Street, Brierfield.
- March 11. 2019 at 4.30pm – robbed a 28-year-old man of a pedal cycle on a car park off Market Street, Colne.