PARENTS were left horrified after children discovered a stash of “dirty” drug needles in a Burnley grit bin.
The two youngsters stumbled upon the used syringes as they collected salt to help pensioners grit their paths in Clifton Street on Monday.
One of the children, who is just seven years old, picked up a discarded bag in the bin and used needles and bloodied tissues spilled out.
Luckily neither child was harmed in the incident but parents were shocked and upset.
Mother-of-four Kelly Decruz, of Clifton Street, said: “It is distressing to have this going on. We have some very young children on the street but luckily they were too busy playing in the snow.
“I rang Burnley Council and they said it was not their problem. They said they would try and get someone out.
“The woman’s attitude from the council was absolutely disgusting.
“It is a public health and safety issue. If one of my children had been stabbed by one of the needles I certainly would not have left it at that.”
But a Burnley Council spokesman said: “We treat reports of dangerous items such as syringes as a matter of urgent priority. We contacted our contractor Veolia and the syringes were removed within an hour-and-a-half.”
Mrs Decruz said she was left shocked that children on the street had been exposed to used syringes.
She said: “We have this kind of problem a lot down here. There are syringes thrown around in summer time.
“We have a drug centre at the end of the street where they have a drop-in centre. There are a lot of druggies walk through this way. They have no consideration for anyone they just whizz them anywhere.
“I think it is disgusting because we have a lot of young children. It should be monitored a lot more closely.”