Padiham brothers jailed for attacks

Burnley Crown Court.
Burnley Crown Court.

TWO violent brothers have been locked up after a catalogue of crime in which six people, including a police officer, were victims.

Stuart and Steven Brown both had “copious” criminal records and have both already served jail terms, Burnley Crown Court heard.

The hearing had been told how the pair had turned up at a house where Neil Fraser and Simon Fisher were living, last February 14th.

Both men had then been attacked, in front of the girlfriend of one of them, and a young child had also been in the property.

The defendants and others had gone to the house after an earlier row involving their mother.

Weeks later Steven Brown (25) PAVA sprayed a police officer, who had dropped the incapacitant while arresting him, and the defendant picked it up.

The defendant, who had been unlawfully at large for a couple of months, had now been in custody since last April.

Brown had also flouted a suspended prison term and had earlier been involved in trouble at the Black Bull, in Padiham. Stuart Brown (34), had also assaulted his partner, and two other people.

The brothers, both from Padiham, each admitted assault causing actual bodily harm, Steven Brown on Mr Fraser and Stuart Brown on Mr Fisher.

Steven Brown had also pleaded guilty to allegations of damage, making use of a firearm with intent to resist arrest, breach of a suspended sentence and affray. He was sent to jail for two-and-a-half years.

Stuart Brown had also admitted assault causing actual bodily harm and two counts of common assault, and had been committed for sentence by magistrates. He was given an 18-month term behind bars.

The court was told Stuart Brown punched his girlfriend to her face and body, hit a man and struck a woman, causing her to bang her head on a doorframe.

He was extremely aggressive when stopped by police, ran off, tried to spit at officers when put in a cell and threw blood around.

Prosecutor Bob Elias said the defendants had “copious” criminal records.

Steven Brown had previous convictions for wounding with intent, assault, affray and having an offensive weapon.

Stuart Brown had 45 convictions for theft and a record for assault and police assault.

Jonathan Dickinson, Steven Brown’s solicitor, said he acknowledged custody must be the outcome. He had an appalling record and this would most likely be his longest sentence.

Brown had been diagnosed with epilepsy as a child, after suffering a serious head injury in an accident. Between the ages of seven and 11, he had lived with his father, after he had “kidnapped” him from Burnley.

The barrister added: “His mother says he came back a rather troubled young man.”

Mr Mark Stuart, Stuart Brown’s solicitor, said his client accepted that custody was inevitable. Mr Fisher suffered relatively minor injuries.

The defendant was mortified he had assaulted his partner, and that others got caught up in it as well.

Mr Stuart said: “He could not have been more upset that he behaved in the way he did.”

The barrister added Brown, who lost control when he had been drinking or had taken something, had been in custody since last December.

Brown really had to sort out his life.

Mr Stuart added: “The danger is it will become easier to cope on the inside than the outside if he’s not careful.”