Jail for burglar who broke into neighbour’s home through loft

Sean Nerney. (s)
Sean Nerney. (s)

A BURNLEY burglar, who broke into his neighbour’s home through the loft space, has been jailed.

Sean Nerney (32), of Ellis Street, appeared at Burnley Crown Court and was sentenced to fours years and 26 days after pleading guilty to burglary.

Nerney admitted breaking into the address in December before rummaging through each room, removing floorboards and leaving with copper piping, a television, a laptop and jewellery.

He also pleaded guilty to burglary at a nearby house on the same street where he stole a laptop and jewellery.

He was arrested at his home after police recovered forensic evidence from one of the addresses linking him to the crimes. During a search of his house, officers managed to retrieve some of the items which had been stolen.

PC Melissa Kelly said: “Nerney deliberately targeted his neighbours and stole valuable items. He caused a lot of damage to their houses leaving them in a mess, which was even more distressing for the victims.

“It is appalling that Nerney targeted his own neighbours and whilst it is rare for a burglar to break in through the loft space, I would encourage residents in terraced houses to fit a standard bolt to the loft hatch. We understand the devastating impact that this intrusive crime can have on victims and we are determined to take action to continue to target those people who invade your homes and steal your possessions.”

l THE case of Shaun Tahmey (29) was adjourned until February 22nd, for a special reasons not to disqualify hearing at Burnley Magistrates’ Court. The defendant, of Beverley Street, is accused of drink driving.

l BURNLEY man Ryan Spedding (18), of Beresford Court, was committed to Burnley Crown Court for sentence on February 10th by the town’s magistrates. He has admitted assault by beating a £1,620 burglary.

l A BRIERFIELD man has had his case sent to the crown court for hearing, by Burnley magistrates. Kamran Zaman (21), of Clegg Street, who is accused of providing false details to a police officer, was bailed until January 23rd.