Disabled dad-of-seven Tasered in Burnley home


A disabled dad-of-seven was shot with a 50,000-volt Taser in his Burnley home after assaulting a police officer called to reports of a man armed with a knife, a court heard.

Michael Fegan (42) was shot twice with the stun gun after punching and kicking PC Oliver Sessions during the “chaotic” disturbance at his Sunningdale Gardens address.

The court heard that as the defendant was downed with the Taser and arrested, his daughter Keeley (20) landed two blows on PC Chris Hutchinson’s jaw as he tried to lead her out of the house.

Fegan senior, who suffers severe arthritis and walks with a stick, admitted assaulting PC Sessions, before Burnley Magistrates’ Court. His daughter also admitted one count of assault on PC Hutchinson.

The court was told the incident was sparked after police arrived at the address to investigate reports of a man with a knife on January 2nd.

Officers heard a female voice say “he’s got a knife” and there was screaming and shouting coming from the property around 10-55pm.

When they opened the door, a teenage male was shouting and swearing “get out of my house” and officers PAVA sprayed him.

The prosecution said Fegan senior immediately pushed PC Sessions and punched him in the face and shoulder.

Police said a struggle ensued, with the children shouting and getting involved. One officer said he even had two small children pulling his arm and tugging his jacket.

The defendant was then said to have lunged towards the officer twice and kicked him repeatedly in the leg before he was shot and incapacitated with the Taser.

The court was told PC Hutchinson came as emergency back-up and “dragged” Fegan’s daughter away from the struggle in the hallway, sustaining a swollen jaw and bruised shin in the rpocess.

Andrew Robinson (prosecuting) said the officer was kicked in the legs and was also hit twice in the face.

PC sessions suffered pain to his face and aggravated an old hand injury but suffered no lasting damage.

Mark Williams (defending) said one of the children may have made the call to the police but there was no evidence of anyone having a knife.

He said Fegan senior, who had previous convictions including for assault of a police officer, only became aware of an incident when he heard a commotion and found his son on the floor after being PAVA sprayed.

The solicitor said: “He was wondering what was going on in the house. He stood, as the main male of the house, in front of the officer. He does not recall kicking the officer at all.”

Mr Williams said Keeley Fegan had never been in trouble with the police. “Her dad had just been tasered and her brother was PAVA sprayed.

“It must have been a horrendous incident for her and other members of her family to witness. She is not a boxer - she did not aim jabs. She just lashed out. It was a matter of three or four seconds.”

She was given fines totalling £220 by magistrates for the incident.

Her father was given a four-month curfew between 7pm and 7am and was ordered to pay £150 compensation, £60 victim surcharge and £40 costs.