Police in Burnley are warning homeowners to be vigilant following a number of sneak-in burglaries.
On one occasion the occupier of a house was in the back garden sunbathing when somebody has climbed in via an insecure groundfloor window and stolen a number of electrical items.
With the hot weather set to continue, police have issued some crime prevention tips:
- Keep doors and windows locked at all times – even when you’re inside.
- Don’t forget to lock the door behind you and remove the key from the lock.
- Keep keys, cash and valuables out of sight and in a safe place.
- Door chimes might deter a burglar from entering your property – but remember to always lock your door.
- If you’re outside gardening or hanging out washing, make sure doors and windows are locked.
- Put packaging for expensive items in the bin or take it to be recycled. Don’t advertise what’s in your house.
- Make sure door and window locks are fitted to the appropriate standards. Cheap locks or deteriorating fittings all make your home an easy target for burglars.
- Check that existing security, such as alarms and external lights are working and use them to protect your home.
- Join or start a Neighbourhood Watch Group and look out for your neighbours.
- If you have a garage use it to store your vehicle out of sight.
- Report any suspicious activity.