Brierfield drug dealer gets five years

editorial image

A DRUG dealer who almost mowed down two police officers and had a fake firearm in his car, has been jailed for five years.

Ayaz Abdullah (21), who also nearly smashed into a car with a baby inside, was finally arrested after armed officers were called in. Abdullah, who had heroin worth £770 in his pocket and two sets of weighing scales in his vehicle, had text messages on his phone from someone complaining drugs supplied were always underweight.

The defendant, of Mansfield Grove, Brierfield, had earlier admitted possessing heroin with intent to supply, possessing an imitation firearm, dangerous driving and having no driving licence or insurance. Judge Heather Lloyd also confiscated his car, banned him from driving and ordered he take an extended re-test.

Mr David Macro (prosecuting) said that on July 17th last year, police in a liveried vehicle in Barden Lane, Burnley, saw Abdullah driving towards Fence.

The car returned three times, an officer checked it on the police’s national computer and a police community support officer stood in the road and raised his hand to stop it. The vehicle sped towards a police officer. She thought she was going to be run over and moved quickly onto a grass verge.

Mr Macro said that the car just missed her, almost hit another vehicle as it reversed at speed and drove towards the PCSO who had to jump out of the way to avoid being struck. Abdullah then drove off.

Police later found Abdullah parked on a track leading to a farm and he was apprehended. In his trouser pocket he had heroin and there was a ball baring gun in the passenger footwell. The defendant was cautioned, was abusive and called the police racist.

The prosecutor said that, once in custody, Abdullah said: “I tried running the officer over, but it’s not worth it.” Traces of heroin were on the scales found in the car.

Mr Macro said that the imitation firearm was broken, wouldn’t have worked and there was no magazine or ammunition.

The defendant was interviewed and made no comment. He gave a prepared statement, saying the drugs and the gun were his. He said that he had not intended to use the gun for any improper purpose and had panicked when he saw the police.

Abdullah, who had a record including drugs offences, said that he had not intended to harm the officers and apologised for the fear he would have caused them.