Cigarette causes Burnley bedroom fire

editorial image
Share this article

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a bedroom fire after a discarded cigarette set alight a mattress.

Three youths had been in the house in Kingsbury Place, Burnley, but were outside when two fire crews arrived at 11-10 a.m. today.

The fire had smokelogged the bedroom and breathing apparatus and a hose reel were used to extinguish the blaze.

Crew manager Kieron Ogden said: “The incident would have been minimised if there had been working smoke alarm upstairs. There was one in the downstairs hallway but the batteries had been taken out. It would have been noticed a lot sooner if there had been one on the landing.”

Anybody wanting a free smoke alarm fitted should ring 0800 169 1125.