Burnley woman treated by paramedics after kitchen fire

Breaking News
Breaking News
Share this article

A DISABLED woman had to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation this morning after a pan caught fire at her home.

The 82-year-old, who is visually impaired, left a pan containing oil on the hob causing black smoke to fill the property in Wordsworth Street.

She was alerted by a smoke alarm and called her daughter who contacted fire crews at 11-45 a.m.

The woman was given oxygen at the scene by paramedics but did not need hospital treatment.

Firefighters said only light smoke damage was caused to the kitchen but said the incident could have been much more serious.

Acting crew manager Matthew Hamer said: “Unfortunately, with her being visually impaired and having other disabilities, she wasn’t fully aware of what was happening.

“Thankfully because the smoke alarm activated she managed to call her daughter.

“I dread to think what would’ve happened if she hadn’t had smoke alarms fitted.”