Burnley streets evacuated in gas scare

editorial image
Share this article

RESIDENTS in Burnley had to be evacuated from their homes this morning after a man trying to harm himself caused a gas leak.

Police said officers were called to a house in Claughton Street just after 11 a.m. after they received calls from worried neighbours.

The man in his thirties had damaged a boiler until it began to leak gas. It is believed he then tried to inhale the substance.

Officers forced their way into the house and the man was taken to hospital by ambulance.

Residents in Claughton Street and Queen Victoria Road were evacuated until 12-30 p.m. when it was safe for them to return.