Burnley man taken to hospital after chip pan fire

editorial image

A 29-YEAR-OLD man from Burnley was taken to hospital last night suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation after a chip pan caught fire at his home.

Firefighters said he had put the pan on the hob and fallen asleep at the house in Laithe Street just after midnight. A neighbour noticed smoke coming from the building and called 999.

Paramedics were called to the scene and the man was taken to hospital for precautionary checks but a fire brigade spokesman said he was not seriously injured.

Crews used four breathing apparatus and a hose reel to put out the fire, which caused severe smoke damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the rest of the house.

There were no working smoke alarms in the property when the fire broke out. Firefighters urged people to arrange a free fire home safety check by calling 0800 169 1125