Burnley fire crews tackle kitchen blaze

editorial image
Share this article

A CHIP pan left on the heat at a Burnley house caught fire sending smoke billowing from the property.

Firefighters were called to Derwent Avenue, off Barden Lane, in Burnley at 7-30 p.m. yesterday. The woman occupant of the house had gone next door not realising the hob was still switched on.

Fearing her son and pet cat were in the house the woman, in her late forties, went back inside and crews said she breathed in a large amount of smoke. She refused to go to hospital or to be treated by paramedics at the scene.

Luckily her son was not in the house and a neighbour tackled the fire by putting a damp tea towel over the flames.

Firefighters turned off the cooker and installed a smoke alarm in the house.

Crew manager Kieron Ogden said there was no working smoke alarm in the property and warned people about the dangers of trying to rescue pets.

The kitchen was left badly damaged by heat and smoke. Anyone wanting a free fire home safety check can call Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 169 1125.