Burnley family flee “Christmas toy” blaze

editorial image
Share this article

A FAMILY were forced to flee a blaze at their Burnley home after a Christmas toy caught fire last night.

Three children were playing upstairs when they spotted flames coming from a bedroom at the terraced house in Brunshaw Road at around 8 p.m.

The family luckily escaped the blaze but the property was left badly damaged.

Fire crews say the blaze started after a charger on a remote control car overheated and set light to the bedroom.

Watch manager Neil Ashworth, of Burnley Fire Station, issued a stark warning about leaving electrical appliances switched on and unattended.

He said: “Chargers and electrical goods should never be left unattended because this can happen. Especially when it is somewhere out of the way with the bedroom door is shut – the fire can develop quite severely when it is left alone.

“People just don’t think it can happen to them. But it can. This family were lucky to escape.”