Burnley crews tackle kitchen fire

editorial image
Share this article

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a house in Burnley this morning after a kettle set alight.

The incident happened at 8-20 a.m. at the property in Keats Fold, off Padiham Road. The kettle had been placed on the gas hob and had caught fire.

Watch manager Neil Mark, from Burnley fire station, said the elderly occupant of the house, a man in his eighties, had been alerted by his smoke alarm.

When crews arrived he was waiting outside. They used a ventilation unit to rid the kitchen of smoke.

Watch manager Mark said: “He had done everything right. He had been alerted by the smoke alarm, he turned off the gas, got out of the house and waited for us to arrive.”