Blaze rips through Burnley pub

editorial image
Share this article

A BLAZE tore through a Burnley pub the day before it was due to be refurbished.

Firefighters were called to the Crooked Billet in Worsthorne at 4-40 p.m. yesterday after smoke was spotted billowing from the bar.

It is believed the fire broke out due to an electrical fault after the lights were left on at the Smith Street pub.

Watch manager Steve Harrison, of Burnley Fire Station, said: “The landlord has been in to switch the lights on ready for them going on later that evening.

“She has gone away and then come back and in the meantime a passer-by spotted the building filling with smoke.

“The fire was quite bad. When we arrived we thought it was quite serious. We think the fire started accidentally due to faulty wiring.”

The blaze left tables, benches and curtains badly burned and the downstairs bar area was damaged by smoke.

Watch manager Harrison urged businesses to ensure that all wiring was checked and old electrics are replaced.