Residents in the Brunshaw area of Burnley have hit out at United Utilities after a burst water main this week caused many homes to be without water for the third time in recent months.
The Burnley Express reported on Monday that a burst water main outside Turf Moor had lowered the water pressure on taps in homes near to the stadium.
And although a United Utilities spokesman said that no houses had lost their water supply, this was disputed by residents on the Burnley Express Facebook page.
Resident Deborah Taylor wrote: “This is the third time in less than two months...and they are giving us a hosepipe ban.”
Gareth Jones commented: “So that’s the third time in as many months. Maybe we wouldn’t need a hosepipe ban if it didn’t keep being emptied all over Brunshaw.”
And Pete Wilson said: “Had three leaks this month bottom of Brunshaw Avenue and now this.”
United Utilities explained on Monday that the 12in. water main on Harry Potts Way had burst and that in response it was bringing water through other pipes to ensure that all properties were on supply.
A spokesman later added: “The repair to a burst water main on Harry Potts Way in Burnley was completed on Monday evening and the taps turned back on. We apologise for any disruption this has may have caused our customers.”
However, United Utilities has failed to respond to a question from the Burnley Express for the reason behind the frequent bursts in the Brunshaw area in recent months.
Last month, United Utilities, the North-West’s water company, announced that it will impose a hosepipe ban (known as a Temporary Use Ban) following what is believed to be the longest heatwave since 1976.
The ban will come into force on Sunday, August 5th.