Alcoholic woke up in strange bed two days after bender

A recovering alcoholic who went out drinking set off walking home - and woke up two days later in bed in someone else’s house, a court was told.

Saturday, 10th January 2015, 5:35 pm

Pennine magistrates heard how Adam Bell (38) had smashed his way into a newly-renovated Burnley property, which is furnished and for sale. However, he knew absolutely nothing about it until he awoke in a strange bed in a home that obviously wasn’t his.

He had broken a window leading to a utility room and wrecked the patio doors with a concrete plant pot, as well as allegedly hurling a glass candle holder, complete with candle, across a room. Nothing had been stolen.

The court was told Bell “panicked” when he came to and beat a hasty retreat, but was caught because he had left blood on a carpet at the side of the bed. The trail and a fingerprint matched his DNA profile.

Sign up to our daily Burnley Express Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Bell told police he had gone out in Burnley town centre quite late on a Friday night and had a lot to drink. Miss Parveen Akhtar (prosecuting) said:”He said he started walking home and the next thing he recalled was waking up in bed, with blood on his hand. He said he didn’t go in there to steal anything and he was sorry for his actions.” Miss Akhtar added Bell had been offence-free for just over 12 months.

Bell, of Chapelhouse Road, Nelson, admitted criminal damage to a patio window, utility window, carpets and walls at the house in Reedley Grove, on or between October 27th and November 3rd. He was ordered to pay £460 compensation within two years and £85 costs.

Mr Nick Cassidy (defending) said Bell had had real issues with drink over the last 18 months to two years, had sought the help of professional agencies to address his problems and, in the main, had made real progress.

The solicitor added:“When you are a recovering alcoholic, you can’t even see your friends for a couple of drinks. He went into Burnley town centre with the intention of staying out for a very short period of time. He accepts he drank and his old demons surfaced again. He attempted to walk home. He recalls being in the town centre and in essence, a couple of days later he woke up in somebody’s bed.”

Mr Cassidy said the property the defendant found himself in was en route to his own house and he could only speculate he went into that property and got straight into bed. “He tells me he has panicked; he left, but he fully expected the knock on the door, which arrived some time later.”

Mr Cassidy said when Bell was taken to the police station and the officers had some sympathy for the him because of his issues.

“He was genuinely remorseful in interview,” said Mr Cassidy. “His response to being charged was ‘I’m really sorry’. He accepts he should have phoned the police.” Mr Cassidy added Bell is still in contact with his GP and the agencies and had not had a drink since the offence.