A brief history of Whalley Cricket Club

Share this article

ALTHOUGH no exact date can be traced, Whalley Cricket Club was probably formed in 1855 and moved to Station Road five years later.

Scorecards exist for games against an All England XI in 1864, 1865 and 1866 and the following year the first-ever Roses match was played at Station Road.

Whalley are founder members of the Veka Ribblesdale League in 1892 and have contested every season other than 1902 when they were expelled for refusing to abide by new league rules.

Whalley are the most successful club in the history of the Ribblesdale League.

They won the title in 1895 and 1898 and their one-year break from competitive action clearly did them no harm as they won it again in 1903 and shared it with Clitheroe in 1904.

Another title followed in 1906 and then Whalley won it for three years on the spin from 1909 before capturing it again in 1913.

After the Great War, Whalley were champions in 1929 and 1930 and after the Second World War they claimed the title again in 1945.

They have won it on three further occasions, taking their tally to 15, but their most recent title came in 1990.

The introduction of the Ramsbottom Cup in the mid-1960s gave the Station Road club something else to target.

After a short wait, they finally got their hands on the trophy in 1971 and have won it on three further occasions, the latest being in 1994.

Address: Station Road, Whalley

Clubhouse telephone number: 01254 824422

Emergency contact number: 07740 172179

Chairman: David Westwood

Treasurer: Lee Kearsley

Secretary: Mick Mahon

League representative: Steve Boswell

Junior organiser: Steve Laycock

First team captain: Richard Palmer

Second team captain: Ted Topham

Third team captain: Steve Laycock

Professional: Rajagopal Sathish

Main sponsors: The Three Fishes at Mitton

Directions to the ground:From the M65 motorway leave at junction eight then at the roundabout take the third exit onto the A6068 (sign posted Clitheroe).

At traffic signals turn left onto A671 entering Padiham and then Read. Continue through first set of lights and at second signals turn left onto Accrington Road (B6246) entering Whalley. Follow to a mini-roundabout and turn right onto King Street sign posted Mitton, follow to find Station Road, home of Whalley Cricket Club.