ORGANISERS of a 10-day funfair in Burnley have moved to re-assure residents that they will be doing everything possible to create a friendly atmosphere on site and in the locality.
The move comes after leader of Burnley Council, Coun. Charlie Briggs voiced fears over the fair which is being staged on private land off Gannow Lane.
He said on Friday: “I have concerns regarding the suitability of the site, access and the potential increase in anti-social behaviour that may result from the fun fair.
“The operator did not consult with the council on their plans to come to Burnley, and the first I knew about it was when I was alerted to posters earlier this week.”
The fair is being held on the site of the former Cloverbrook Mill.
A spokeman for the operators of the fair, Taylors, told the Express: “In common with all fairground organisers, we run events on both private and publicly-owned sites throughout the year, and also participate each summer in Burnley Wakes Fair, supported by the council. The new event gave us an opportunity to revive the tradition of the popular Rosegrove fairs of the 1990s.
“All our rides and attractions carry independent safety certificates, risk assessments and public liability insurance and we adhere to the same stringent health and safety standards regardless of whether we are operating on public or private land. The police have been consulted about the fair at Gannow Lane and furthermore we will be providing our own security to ensure a friendly atmosphere in which families feel comfortable.