The plaque recognises the long association between the historic church and school, which for a long time was situated in the building on School Street now known as “The Landmark”.
The connection between St Peter’s Church and the Grammar School in fact goes back to at least 1552, with the original schoolhouse being sited in the vicinity of the church, priests taking on teaching duties and St Peter’s playing a role in the governance of the school.
A long lasting connection between the church and school was the holding of an Annual Founders Day Service, more fully and correctly known as “Founders Day Service and Commemoration of Benefactors”. This would seem to have continued even after the school moved from the site on School Street to Habergham
Mr Alan Roadley, who was involved with the hanging of the plaque, said: "It was the idea of an old boy of the school, now in his 80s and living in Scotland, who has funded it.
"In fact it was installed by his nephew, who lives in Burnley. The rationale behind it is that despite the closeness in both location and co-operation between the school and church over many centuries, and that the grammar school was a direct successor of a 'church school, there has so far been nothing within the church to mark this connection.
"The plaque includes a passage from Ecclesiasticus which was read at each Founders Day Service.
"The stone and the style of engraving, supplied by local business Lee Hunt Memorials, has been selected to blend in sympathetically with the existing memorials and the interior of the Grade II listed church and is a fitting tribute to the part that Burnley Grammar school played in the town’s history.
"If you are interested in viewing it, do come and visit once restrictions are lifted."