100 people dispersed from Towneley Park in Burnley as warning over disposable barbecues issued
Around 100 people who park rangers said were "causing some issues" were dispersed by police from Towneley Park yesterday evening (April 3).
Officers noted that despite there being a "bit of litter", there were no offences and a "good number of people" were adhering to the rules.
Two people were also reportedly found picking up their own litter as well as everyone else's rubbish.
But despite the positive message, police did warn the public of the dangers of disposable barbecues after one was placed in a bin.
"I know someone was probably well intentioned but you can't put a disposable BBQ in a bin full of rubbish," a spokesman for the force said.
"The lesson for tonight is: Just because there is no flame doesn't mean to say it won't ignite other combustibles around it."
How to safely use disposable barbecues
- Study the user instructions carefully and follow them closely
- Only use a barbecue in very well ventilated areas
- Never place the barbecue on anything flammable - the foil base gets very hot
- Leave the barbecue to cool down before attempting to move it - this may take several hours
- Make sure that the barbecue is fully extinguished by pouring plenty of water or sand onto it
- Do not place a disposable barbecue in a rubbish bin until it has cooled down completely
- Make sure your barbecue is placed on level ground where it will not tip over. Bricks or a paving slab is ideal
- Never use a barbecue indoors or inside a tent, the carbon monoxide that they produce can kill
Support us and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest football stories and new puzzles every day. With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.