Mouth-watering semi-final ahead as Lowerhouse and Burnley win

STEADY KNOCK: Jack Edgar in action for Lowerhouse.
STEADY KNOCK: Jack Edgar in action for Lowerhouse.

A very important weekend for Lowerhouse’s season started on Friday evening with their first 20-20 game at home to Nelson.

In front of a bumper crowd the House lost by a single run in a thrilling finish.

On Saturday it was a trip to Rishton to continue the defence of the Worsley Cup. The wicket gave all the Rishton attack some help and at 38-2 Lowerhouse’s policy was to dig in, Heap making a painstaking 55 and pro Haasbroek 38. It was important that the later batsmen capitalised and Joe Hawke and Charlie Cottam did the needful, both scoring 44.

Hawke was out in the penultimate over going for his 50. Paddy Martin finished the innings with three fours as his team ended on 229-7.

Francois Hassbroek then removed Rishton’s pro Salpietro for a duck as the home side slumped to 56-6. It finshed with Rishton on 118, Fergus Bailey taking 3-18.

After their clinical cup win, Lowerhouse were back to home cooking Sunday, taking aim at perennial challengers Ramsbottom at the Neville Gee (Recruitment) Ground. Lowerhouse bowled tightly and after 27 overs the visitors were struggling at 51-4, with pro Malan (7) out. The experianced Steve Dearden (39) and Rob Read with a half-century transformed their fortunes but the House led by Haasbroek took four wickets in the last two overs as Ramsbottom were 176 all out. Haasbroek finished with 5-56.

Whitehead made a superb 60 and Edgar 25 in an opening partnership worth 81. After both departed within three balls Lowerhouse began to make heavy weather of the chase. A sharp 25 from Bleazard allowed House fans to exhale with 17 required off four overs. Rammy got rid of Blez and the pro of successive balls as it came down to wanting four off the last over. Joe Martin hit the first ball for a routine two but Joe Hawke greedily tried to stretch it to three running Martin out, With no room for further error Hawke (12 not out) hit a shot to backward point and scrambled the winning runs.

Saturday saw Burnley’s eagerly anticipated quarter final of the Fosters Worsley cup against in form Ramsbottom at Turf Moor. Ramsbottom chose to field and made the early breakthrough with the wicket of Steve Brunt. A good partnership of 49 between in form Dan Pickup (27) and Qasim Ali (23) help steady things but three quick wickets had the home side at 63-4. Captain Bharat Tripathi (54) and chairman Michael Brown (52) in a 103 partnership then dominated the innings but both fell in quick succession as Burnley finished on 193.

Ramsbottom openers took the score of 46-1 off 10 overs with Brunt taking the only wicket. Tight bowling from Adnan Rasool and Graham Lalor tehn left the visiting side struggling at 61-3. Quick bowler Cole Hayman ripped out the middle order with 4-29 off his allocated 10 overs and backed up by James Capstick (1-37)as Burnley set up a semi-final game on Sunday, June 23rd against Lowerhouse at Turf Moor.

Sunday saw Burnley travel to league leaders Accrington on another scorching sunny day and lost the toss and fielded. Burnley started well and had Accrington 44-2 off 18 overs with both openers gone by Rasool. Accrington went on to post 251-7 with Rasool fisnihing with 6-63 off 17.

The visitors were soon in trouble at 24-3 after 10 overs and it was Qasim Ali (33) and Rasool (37) who first led a fight back followed by Brunt (37) but could not get on top off a good Accrington side. Despite late resistance from Lalor (10) the inevitable came and were all out for 153.

> Friday night saw Burnley crash out of the Twenty20 competition with their second defeat against Colne. Colne set a score of 143 off 20 overs and while Burnley started their innings brightly with Brunt (17), Burton (18) and Tripathi (22) they ended three short of the target, Haymen finishing on 22 not out.