Unity win through to last 16 of English Schools

editorial image

UNITY College Year 8 football team have made it through to the last 16 in the English Schools’ FA Cup.

Unity progressed against last year’s beaten semi-finalists St Wilfreds 3-2 to make it through, but didn’t have it their own way in the game, trailling twice to a very strong outfit from Macclesfield.

Unity started the game well and went close with an Andrew Stott shot, which was parried, but Harry Flynn couldnt get on the end of the rebound.

In St Wilfred’s first attack of the game they showed why the did so well last season, scoring after a well-worked move.

Unity didn’t panic and continued to play football and put St Wilfred’s under pressure, and the pressure eventually told when Unity equalised from a corner in which Stott bundled the ball over the line from close range.

Straight from the kick-off St Wilfreds played their way up the pitch, regaining the lead seconds after Unity had equalised.

Again Unity kept their cool and pushed forward in search of an equaliser, which arrived through Bobby Carter, following up on a well-struck shot from Mark Howarth.

Unity didn’t make the same mistake again and kept St Wilfred’s at bay, but only thanks to some excellent goalkeeping from Jack Little.

Unity were very unlucky not to go into half-time in the lead with Stott hitting the bar, Ross Sykes’ free kick going close and an excellent save to deny Luke Jordan a goal.

The second half was much more of a quiet affair, with both teams keeping things pretty tight.

This was until a St Wilfred’s striker found himself in front of goal with only Little to beat, and somehow he managed to dive full length and parry the shot with his forearm and get up in time to collect the ball before the striker could react.

Within minutes of this miss, Carter managed to turn on a sixpence in a crowded goal and fire beyond the very impressive St Wilfreds goalkeeper.

With 13 minutes to go, St Wilfred’s could only muster one chance, from which the impressive Little made another good save.

Congratulations to the squad, who will now play a school from Salford in the next round, who have just knocked last years winner’s out!