Padiham recover from disastrous start to edge Burscough thriller

GOOD TIMING: Ben Allen got Padiham back into the on three minutes after his team had fallen two goals behind against Burscough
GOOD TIMING: Ben Allen got Padiham back into the on three minutes after his team had fallen two goals behind against Burscough

Padiham came back from being two goals behind after two minutes and 3-1 down after just nine to win an absorbing Evo-Stik Premier League game on Tuesday night.

Late arrivals were shocked to find that no only had Liam Caddick scored two goals in the opening two minutes for the home side but that Ben Allen had pulled one back for the Storks when he headed in a Kieran Britton cross with only three minutes of the game gone.

Another goal came for the home side on nine minutes, this time a corner found Paul Williams on the edge of the Padiham box and he smashed his effort past Marcus Burgess to put Burscough 3-1 ahead.

A shell-shocked Padiham side eventually began to get themselves back into the game and on 22 minutes a Jack Cook cross found Kieran Pickup whose header needed a smart save by home keeper Tim Horn.

Ben Allen went closer on 29 minutes when he volleyed over a Pickup cross, however five minutes later the two Padiham frontmen combined well again, this time Allen holding the ball up under pressure before pulling a pass back into the path of Pickup who smashed the chance past Horn and into the Burscough net to reduce the arrears to just 3-2.

The game’s tempo upped immediately and on 35 minutes Burscough were reduced to 10 men when Conor Roberts was shown a straight red card for head-butting Padiham’s Dominic Craig off the ball.

Burscough suffered a double blow just three minutes after the sending off when Tom Bradley scored a 25-yard screamer to level the scores at 3-3.

More pressure from Padiham saw Britton and Allen put efforts wide and Ashely Carter miss a great opportunity to put Padiham ahead when he failed to convert from only one-yard out.

The second half started with Burscough’s Niall Cummin’s sending a shot just wide and Padiham surging forward to try and win the game.

A Mark Sharples’ corner on 65 minutes caused all sorts of problems in the home defence and the lively Pickup curled a shot just wide of the post.

A counter attack by Burscough on 72 minutes saw Michael Jensen head a left wing cross wide while at the other end in Padiham’s next attack, Sharples fired across the face of the home side’s goal.

Padiham’s substitute Danny Bell added more impetus to the Storks going forward and he soon found himself in thick of things, hitting the Burscough crossbar on 78 minutes and a minute later sending in the cross that Ashley Carter headed in to give Padiham the 4-3 victory.

Further Padiham pressure in the run up to the final whistle nearly added to the scoreline with substitute Burscough goalkeeper pulling off the save of the match in added-on time to prevent an angled Allen shot finding its way into the net.

Padiham play their first ever game in the FA Challenge Trophy competition tomorrow when they take on Sheffield FC at the Arbories, kick-off 3pm.

Sheffield are the oldest existing club in the owrld founded in 1857, some 21 years before Padiham were established.

Sheffield play in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One South.