Improving Padiham avenge defeat against promotion chasers

On target: Ben Allen netted Padiham's second goal, after earlier missing a penalty
On target: Ben Allen netted Padiham's second goal, after earlier missing a penalty

Padiham were well worth their win over promotion challengers Farsley at the Arbories Memorial Sports Grounds YESSS Electrical Arena on Saturday, gaining revenge for a heavy defeat to the same opposition earlier in the season.

A confident start by the Storks saw the home team dominate the early stages of the game, but it was Farsley who came closest to scoring when Aiden Savory headed a ninth minute corner against the crossbar.

Shaken but not disturbed, Padiham hit back within a minute of the scare at the other end, as Ben Allen flicked on a throw-in into the path of Brett Ormerod, who danced through the defence before crashing a suberb shot past Farsley keeper Tom Taylor.

Farsley kept home keeper Marcuss Burgess busy as they tried to get back into the game, and missed a great chance on 25 minutes when Adam Priestley went through one on one with Burgess, only to see the Storks’ young keeper come out on top with a brave save at the forward’s feet.

Padiham’s Jake Gregory had a shot blocked on the goal line on 36 minutes, and the visitors’ keeper made a stunning save to keep out an Ormerod effort right on half-time,

Both sides went close at the start of the second half before Jason Hart was brought down for a penalty on 50 minutes, leaving Allen to step up to take the spot kick, only to see his shot from 12 yards saved low down by the post by Taylor.

At the other end, Aiden Savory smashed a shot across the face of goal on 53 minutes, followed by a Padiham attack which saw Allen make up for his penalty miss with a well-taken headed goal from an Ormerod cross to put the Storks two up.

Just after the hour mark, Padiham increased their lead when Hart’s right wing cross was turned into his own goal by Matt Dempsey to put the Storks firmly in control of the game.

However, the visitors never conceded the chance of getting back into the game, and on 64 minutes Lewis Nightingale curled in a great free-kick which Burgess did well to turn round the post for a corner.

From the ball back in, Spencer Harris shot inches wide.

Nightingale had another effort saved by Burgess before the visitors’ pressure paid off when Dempsey scored at the right end this time with 10 minutes to go.

Padiham saw the game out to win 3-1 and now face another tough fixture away to Droylsden tonight, a game Storks skipper Martin Parkes will miss through suspension.

Padiham FC’s youth team are also in action this week when they take on Myerscough College at home in the Lancashire FA Floodlit League on Thursday, kick-off 7-30 p.m.