Sean Dyche new Burnley FC manager?

Sean Dyche
Sean Dyche

SEAN Dyche was expected to be unveiled as the new Burnley boss today (Tuesday).

Former Watford chief Dyche is understood to have been offered the job following a second interview late last week, and spent the weekend pondering his options, with Crystal Palace also believed to be interested in speaking to the 41-year-old.

Dyche watched Burnley go down 4-0 at Cardiff City on Saturday, officially as a guest of City manager Malky Mackay, with whom he worked with as assistant manager at Vicarage Road, before taking the reins in the summer of 2011.

And his appointment should be announced as the club’s 32nd different full-time manager.

Matters had been complicated by an effort to lure Blackpool’s Holloway to Turf Moor - which would have been something of an audacious move from the board, with Dyche not initially garnering universal approval from supporters on phone-ins and social media.

It is thought there have been complications over any such move, with legal fees on top of a reported £400,000 compensation figure to negotiate.

One thing appears certain, in that Holloway will leave Bloomfield Road, with Blackburn expected to make an official approach for the 49-year-old today (Monday) after a month searching for a replacement for Steve Kean.

So Dyche will replace Eddie Howe, after emerging as the board’s number one choice, after it appeared there had been a difference of ideas and direction, as operational director Brendan Flood said on Twitter on Saturday evening: “Appointing a new manager is legally/ financially more complicated than it looks. We have five director opinions, some ambitious, some cautious.”

Dyche, who last month took up a role with England Under 21s under Stuart Pearce - who he knows from his time as a young professional at Nottingham Forest - and Falkirk’s Steven Pressley were the joint chairmen John Banaszkiewicz and Mike Garlick’s selections having gone through the process, with St Johnstone’s Steve Lomas third in line.

Caretaker boss Terry Pashley had bought the board time with wins over Blackpool and Bristol City, but the setback at Cardiff hastened the need to appoint a new man.

Club stalwart Pashley said after the game: “I’ve spoken to the board, but nothing in terms of what’s going to happen.

“The chairmen have been asking how things have been going,but in terms of a new appointment nothing has been mentioned to me, no.

“We came down (on Friday) and after we got to the hotel I spoke to them, but not since then.

“I have nothing to report.”

He added: “If that was my last game, it’s been an experience.

“I’m an employee of Burnley Football Club and I’ve been asked to do a job, and I’ve enjoyed doing it.”