Burnley have received a welcome boost with key man Kieran Trippier signing a new three-year deal.
The 23-year-old - named the Championship’s best right back for the last two seasons - was about to enter the last year of his contract, and would have been able to leave the club on a free transfer next summer.
But, after helping earn promotion to the Premier League, Trippier revealed in Express Sport at the beginning of May that he was in talks with the club over a new contract, and he put pen to paper on Friday on a deal until the summer of 2017, warding off any potential suitors in the process.
Ramsbottom-based Trippier arrived three years ago from Manchester City, initially on loan, before making the switch permanent in January 2012, along with fellow former City youngster Ben Mee.
And he said to Express Sport: “I left City because I wanted to play as many games as I can.
“City let me go and I don’t think I got the opportunity there, but I came here and I’ve enjoyed myself.
“I’ve been here three seasons now and been player of the year and got a promotion, so it’s not been bad!
“I’ve always said to myself, my dad, my mum, I’ll never make a better decision in my career to sign for Burnley.
“I want to play against the best players, the best teams and better myself.
“That’s my dream since I was at Manchester City.
“I’ve got a year left, I’m enjoying my football here, and we’re in talks.
“I’m happy at Burnley, I’m 10 minutes away, close to my family and friends, so we’ll see what happens.”