Interest in our players is nothing new - Dyche

Michael Keane

Michael Keane

0
Have your say

Envious eyes cast towards Burnley players are nothing new to boss Sean Dyche.

Defensive lynchpin Michael Keane continues to be linked with a summer move to one of the Premier League elite.

The 24-year-old, recently capped at senior level by England, has been an ever-present this season, and has been nominated for the PFA Young Player of the Year.

But Dyche accepts that is one of the side-effects of having success – your players get noticed.

He said: “It’s a balanced view, we’ve had it a lot since my first seven or eight months here, with many players.

“It’s a compliment in the sense that, ‘hang on a minute, there must be life at Burnley, so let’s have a look’, and when they do look, they think there’s some really good players there.

“And then there’s that edge of worry where eventually, someone comes in way more powerful than us financially, and start pushing the margins.

“But it’s something I’m used to, it’s not new to me.”

Saturday’s opponents Everton continue to openly court Keane through the media.

Boss Ronald Koeman said before the January transfer window closed, as regards his targets: “Yes, he is one of that list, like some more defenders.

“But I heard he is on more lists, in different teams.”

And ahead of Saturday’s meeting of the sides at Goodison Park, he added: “He’s one of the defenders really involved in Burnley’s season.

“It’s not easy to score and it’s not easy to create against them. I think he’s one of the young centre backs with a great future in front of him.”

Dyche hasn’t spoken specifically about Koeman or Everton’s interest in Keane, but, speaking generally after the 3-1 defeat at the Toffees, admitted: “That’s how the game’s changed, the press talk openly about players’ contracts, managers talk openly about situations, it’s just how it is.

“It’s not for me to decide, it’s for the powers that be, whether they feel that’s appropriate or not.

“But it seems to be an ongoing exchange of information.

“I don’t think anyone worries too much anymore.

“I personally just try and conduct myself in the manner that I do on behalf of the club, it’s nothing to do with my thoughts on others.

“They can conduct themselves however they wish.

“No one’s hiding it, so people can see it, hear it, read it, if they want to do anything about it, it’s up to them.”

Dyche has spoken out previously on the subject, but, as on the topic of simulation and retrospective action, accepts his opinion might go unheard.

He was unhappy with a couple of incidences at Goodison Park on Saturday: “I can’t enforce their hand, I’ve been trying to enforce retrospective banning, but not many people listen to me.

“I don’t want to see people diving all over the floor.

“I saw two today – children all around the world watching that, I find it very frustrating.

“But I can only offer my opinion. It’s up to the powers that be.

“It’s whether they chose to make a difference.”