A group of travellers set up camp on a children’s playground in Burnley.
Around 20 caravans and vehicles parked on land off Harold Avenue on the Stoops Estate.
The encampment sprang up late on Wednesday night and sparked anger among nearby residents.
Burnley Council owns the land and late last week started legal proceedings to remove the group of travellers.
By Sunday the travellers had moved on but black bags full of rubbish were left on the site.
The latest incident came just days after a group of travellers set up camp on land behind the General Havelock pub in Accrington Road last weekend.
That group has also since moved off the land but it is unclear whether the two were linked.
Coun. Marcus Johnstone, councillor for Lowerhouse and Rosegrove, said his ward had been beset by illegal traveller camps.
He said: “It is a perennial problem across Rosegrove and Lowerhouse. It was a real issue last year but it has been a bit quieter this year.
“There is a lot of money spent on cleaning these sites up – which we need like a hole in the head.
“These people know the rules and know the council will serve a notice saying they must leave. They vacate the site with five minutes to spare, leaving tax-payers to foot the bill.”