Shed fire rips through Padiham house

BLAZE: A firefighter at Ingham Street (S)
BLAZE: A firefighter at Ingham Street (S)

A BLAZE ripped through a garden shed in Padiham and spread to an unoccupied house next door.

The fire in Ingham Street started in the early hours of Monday morning but, luckily, a nearby resident rang 999 immediately and fire crews were soon on the scene.

She said: “The firefighters soon had the fire under control. The blaze appeared to start in a shed at 70 Ingham Street, but swiftly spread to engulf the empty house next door at 72. “Thankfully that house was empty and unoccupied at the time and nobody was injured. It could have been very nasty. I live nearby, and thankfully my house was unaffected apart from some slight smoke damage.

“I can’t begin to speak highly enough about the prompt and efficient service from the fire crew.”

Firefighters used breathing apparatus, hose reel jets and a triple extension ladder. The kitchen roof was destroyed and there was heat damage to windows on one of the houses.