DCSIMG

Pensioner ‘lucky’ after chip pan blaze burns out

Latest News

Latest News

 

A pensioner left a chip pan cooking which sparked a blaze in his Burnley home.

The man had been frying chips but left his Cliviger house with the cooker still burning on Tuesday night.

Fire chiefs say the oil had overheated which sparked a blaze in the kitchen during the evening.

When the man returned home around 10-40pm he found the fire had burned itself out – but the property was filled with smoke.

Crew manager Tom Mellor, of Burnley Fire Station, said: “The chip pan had been left on the stove during the afternoon and the occupier left and came back to find there had been a fire and the house was filled with smoke.

“The fire had burned itself out which was very lucky. If a chip pan is left unattended it is very easy for them to catch fire and they can cause a fair bit of damage.

“If you have an old-style chip pan then replace it with a deep fat frier. They have a thermostat in them so if it gets too hot it will turn itself off.

“The biggest safety message is to just stay with any cooking at all times and don’t leave it unattended.”

An ambulance was called out to check whether the man had suffered smoke inhalation but he did not need hospital treatment.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news