Pensioner escapes Burnley house blaze

editorial image

A PENSIONER who had recently suffered a stroke was rescued from a blaze at his Burnley home.

The 65-year-old man had left a pan unattended at the terraced property in Barden Lane earlier this afternoon.

Fire crews were called in after the man heard smoke alarms sounding and dialled 999.

He was escorted out of the smoke-logged property and firefighters were able to deal with the pan fire quickly.

He was taken by ambulance to the Royal Blackburn Hospital for a precautionary check up.

Watch manager Anthony Harrison, of Burnley Fire Station, said the man had followed advice given on a recent home fire safety visit.

He said: “It was the smoke alarms that we had fitted which alerted the man to the fire. He followed our advice and shut himself in a safe room and dialled 999.

“We have just gone in and helped him out of the house.”