Padiham shops evacuated over gas leak alert

Police cordon off the area as workmen repair the gas leak in Padiham.'Photo Ben Parsons

Police cordon off the area as workmen repair the gas leak in Padiham.'Photo Ben Parsons

0
Have your say

Gas leak fears sparked an evacuation of shops in Padiham town centre.

Shoppers and traders were forced to flee buildings along Burnley Road on Wednesday after passers by reported smelling gas.

The alert forced officials to evacuate several buildings and stores from the Padiham Youth Club to the Hardware Store around 12-30pm.

Police were on the scene and National Grid engineers were sent in to find the source of the escaping gas.

Coun. Bob Clark and his wife Ann were among several people to report the smell of gas in the town centre.

He said: “There was a strong smell of gas in the area. We thought it must be a gas leak.

We called an emergency gas leak number. Leaks can be very dangerous and every call is taken seriously.

“They came down very quickly. The cafe and several other buildings were evacuated and the premises were being checked. Police were also there to make sure it is safe.”

A spokesman for National Grid said: “We had a couple of reports of a smell of gas at that location.

“We had two emergency engineers and a repair team on site.

“A small number of shops were evacuated and we were working to find and stop the escape and then repair it.”

The leak was fixed by around 4pm and officials remained at the scene for several hours to ensure gas readings were at a safe level.

Gas leaks can be reported to the emergency line on 0800 111 999.