Fire starts after Padiham man leaves steak and mushrooms on hob

Fire
Fire

A fire started in a Padiham house after a resident started to cook steak and mushrooms – but then left for a dentist’s appointment.

The incident occured at 12-10pm on Tuesday at a house in Coronation Avenue.

Crew manager Alan Ashworth said: “The gentleman put steak and mushrooms on to cook. He had a dentist appointment and left the house forgetting he had left them on the hob.

“A neighbour was alerted by a smoke alarm sounding in the house and rang us. Two pumps attended. The man came home at the same time as we arrived and access was made using his keys.

“The pan was removed from the hob, but the house was smoke logged throughout. A ventilation unit was used to remove the smoke from the house.

“Damage was confined to the pan and there was light smoke damage to the ground floor.”

Crew manager Ashworth warned the public never to leave hobs and grills unattended when cooking.