Nine firefighters called to Burnley kitchen fire

editorial image

A MUM’S kitchen was caught in flames, after a plastic bag was believed to have been left too close to the hob.

Nine firefighters and two fire engines were called to the scene at Queen Victoria Road, at 5-41pm, on September 5th.

Two breathing apparatus’ and one hose reel was used to put out the fire, which caused significant damage to the kitchen cupboards. The team were at the scene for approximately 45 to 50 minutes.

According to acting crew manager Matthew Hamer, a lot more damage could have been caused, had the house not been fitted with smoke alarms.

He said: “Thankfully the owner had had smoke alarms fitted by us.

“It could have been a lot worse, and fortunately, the homeowner was in. Her two children were out.

“It has caused distress to the family, but the alarm was raised quickly, and we responded quickly.

“In this instance, the smoke alarm saved a potentially big fire.

“The fire had caused quite a lot of damage to the kitchen.

“It was caused by cooking. We believe a plastic bag had been too close to the hob.”

All Burnley residents are entitled to a free smoke alarm, and safety advice. Call 0800 169 1125 for more information, or visit www.lancsfirerescue.org.uk.