Neighbour leads Burnley fire couple to safety

editorial image

Firefighters have praised a neighbour who came to the aid of an elderly couple after a fire broke out at their Burnley home yesterday.

A pan had been left on the cooker causing smoke to fill the flat in Kent Street, Stoneyholme, around 6-30 p.m.

The neighbour was alerted by a smoke alarm and rushed into the property where he carried the 79-year-old woman to safety.

The woman and her 83-year-old husband were taken to the Royal Blackburn Hospital where they were treated for smoke inhalation but later released. Light smoke damage was caused to the flat.

Crew manager Rick Courtney, from Burnley fire station, said: “It’s a good job he was there. It could’ve been a lot worse. He did a good job.”