THE dad of a “gentle giant” from Burnley who was found collapsed in the street said the family still has unanswered questions about his death.
Mr Graham Bracewell, of Colne Road, was speaking after the inquest into the death of his son Matthew Bracewell recorded an open verdict.
Matthew (31), of Oxford Road, Brierfield, was discovered by police around 4am on Sunday, May 27th, after returning from a night out playing snooker. He was rushed to the Royal Blackburn Hospital where he later died.
The inquest, at Blackburn Coroner’s Court, heard Matthew had been taking painkillers for a perforated ear drum which he had had for around six years.
Shortly before his death, his medication was changed by doctors and he was prescribed beta blockers.
Toxicological tests revealed toxins caused by the beta blockers in his system, but the inquest was told it was uncertain whether the medication in his system caused his death.
Mr Bracewell said he has many questions still unanswered as to how his son died and expressed concern he may not have been told the potential dangers of taking too many tablets.
He said he would be seeking legal advice to try to get some answers.
“I was expecting more answers from the inquest. We didn’t know his medication had been changed to beta blockers.
“I told him to be careful about taking too many tablets, I don’t think he understood the dangers.”
Mr Bracewell and his wife, Sharon, told the Express last month how they feared Matthew had been living in extreme poverty.
When they visited his home after his death to collect his personal effects, they discovered he had not received job seekers’ allowance for seven months after his benefit was stopped and he was having problems paying his rent.
There were also a number of letters from bailiffs.