Firefighters say a discarded cigarette sparked a blaze which destroyed a car in Burnley.
The Renault Clio caught fire as it stood parked outside an address in Brownhill Avenue last night
Fire crews were called to deal with the incident after the car owner called 999 around 8pm.
The owner had tried to put the fire out which firefighters said was caused after a cigarette was accidentally left smouldering on the back seat of the vehicle.
A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “It was an accidental fire. A discarded cigarette had been on the back seat. “It had been smouldering. There is total damage – it looks like a write-off.”