A devastated mum has recounted the terrible moment when her baby boy accidentally pulled a television on top of his head while searching for his toys.
Little McKenzie Birkett-Waddington, two months short of his second birthday, was at home in Hollingreave Road, Burnley, on January 7th this year when the television toppled off a chest of drawers and dropped on him causing fatal injuries.
His tearful mum, Miss Jade Birkett, told an inquest at Burnley Coroner’s Court how McKenzie was a “lively, healthy and inquisitive boy who was into everything”.
Affectionately known as “Chucky” because of his spiky hair, his heartbroken mum had earlier described how he would “light up every room he was in.”
The inquest was told how the television was sat on top of a three-drawer chest but not secured to the wall at the time of the accident.
Sitting beside her parents, Miss Birkett told the hearing: “I was sorting out my other baby son Kian while McKenzie was sat on the floor.
“The television was sat on top of a chest of drawers which we had brought from our previous house. We had only moved in three weeks earlier.
“I think McKenzie was trying to find his toy ball which was in the bottom drawer. When he pulled at the drawer, the chest tipped and the television dropped. It all happened so quickly.”
Miss Birkett, who has another child, five-year-old Mason, said she did not have time to act.
An ambulance rushed McKenzie to the Royal Blackburn Hospital and then to the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital where neurosurgery was performed after his brain had become swollen. However, he suffered a cardiac arrest and could not be revived.
Home Office pathologist Dr Charles Wilson, who carried out the post-mortem examination, said that McKenzie was a healthy, normal child. He gave the cause of death as head injuries.
Recording a conclusion of accidental death, East Lancashire Coroner Mr Richard Taylor said: “It is quite apparent to me that this was an unforeseen, dreadful accident.”