Food left in oven causes Padiham fire

editorial image

Padiham fire crews were called to a house in Lawrence Street early this morning after a man put some food in the oven to cook and then fell asleep.

The incident happened at 2-40am after the man returned from a night out. Firefighters said smoke alarms in the property had been activated but failed to wake him.

Fortunately the fire did not spread and crews used a ventilation unit to rid the building of smoke.

Watch manager Duncan Barker-Brown said: “We recommend a take-away rather than starting to cook food when coming home from a night out.”