Fire rips through Burnley house

editorial image

Fire chiefs have warned homeowners to make sure their smoke alarms are working properly after one saved a Burnley family.

Firefighters were called to Ardwick Street at 7pm last night where they were faced with flames coming from upstairs windows and a large amount of black smoke.

A smoke alarm had alerted the family and they were outside when the crews arrived.

Two breathing apparatus teams with hose jets extinguished the blaze, which may have been caused by an electrical fault.

Watch manager Andy Coulton said: “If there had been no smoke alarms to alert, lives may have been lost.

“Smoke alarms save lives, You are more than twice as likely to die in a fire at home if you haven’t got one.”

For a free home fire safety check, advice and smoke alarm test or replacement, visit www.lancsfirerescue.org.uk or call 0800 169 1125.