Fire in Burnley chimney

editorial image

BURNLEY fire crews were called to a house in Rosehill last night after flames engulfed the chimney.

The incident happened at 8-15 p.m. and firefighters spent 90 minutes tackling the fire in Rosehill Avenue.

Firefighter Matthew Hamer said: “It was going quite well when we got there. We put the fire out in the actual chimney and then sent a hose up the chimney breast to dampen down the embers.”

The occupants were in the property at the time of the fire but no one was injured and Mr Hamer said there was no serious fire damage to the house.

But he stressed the importance of making sure chimneys are swept regularly and are properly lined.