Fire chief's hob warning

Fire chief's warning
Fire chief's warning

A Burnley fire chief has urged homeowners to take more care in the kitchen after three hob-related fires in five days.

Watch manager Chris Archer said all three incidents involved the occupier accidentally leaving or switching the hob on while items remained on top.

The first incident happened in Beckenham Court, Burnley, in the early hours of Tuesday morning when a hob was accidentally switched on while the occupier was cleaning. Crews used a ventilation unit to clear the smoke and had to administer oxygen therapy to the female occupant.

The second incident was this morning when crews were called to a property in Colne Road, Burnley, at 9-45am. A wooden chopping board had been left on a gas hob which had accidentally been left on. Firefighters used a ventilation unit to clear the smoke.

Just a few hours later, firefighters were again called out, this time to a house in Hollingreave Road, Burnely, where a tea towel had been left on an electric hob. The hob was accidentally switched on while the occupant was cleaning.

Mr Archer said: "We’d like to remind the community of Burnley to not store things on top of their hobs, just in case it is accidentally switched on and to double check it’s switched off when leaving the kitchen.

"Thankfully, working smoke alarms prevented these incidents from being much worse. For fire safety advice please see our websitehttp://www.lancsfirerescue.org.uk or call free on 0800 1691125."