Fire at Padiham mill

editorial image

A BLAZE which broke out at a Padiham mill last night is being treated as an accident, firefighters have said.

The incident happened at Unity Mill, in Station Road, which houses a furniture business, at 11-45 p.m.

A passer-by spotted smoke billowing from the building and called 999. Crews from Burnley and Padiham spent two hours tackling the flames, which were confined to the centre of the mill.

Wood used to make furniture and a CNC machine were damaged in the blaze but firefighters said it was lucky the fire did not spread further.

They used a hose reel and four breathing apparatus to put out the fire and a ventilation unit to rid the building of smoke.

Burnley crew manager Alan Ashworth said: “It was a slow burning fire which was fortunate because there was a lot of wood and dust everywhere.

“It was lucky the passer-by walked past and saw it. If they hadn’t it could’ve been quite a serious job.”